CNA Sponsor Spotlight: Ontario Power Generation
Ontario Power Generation (OPG) is proud to be one of the largest, most diverse clean power producers in North America. OPG is the largest electricity generator in the province, providing almost half the power Ontarians rely on every day. It is also one of the most diverse generators in North America with expertise in nuclear, hydro, biomass, solar and gas.
OPG also has expertise in isotopes. In November, it signed an agreement with Nordion (Canada) Inc. to expand the production of cobalt-60 to the Darlington Nuclear Generating Station. Implementing cobalt-60 production at the Darlington station will replace the capacity lost when the Pickering station ceases operations, and provide increased production to meet global demand.
OPG invests millions of dollars in local economies and employs thousands of people to maintain a modern, sophisticated energy fleet. It partners with local, environmental and Indigenous groups to improve the well-being of the communities in which it has sites.
Here are a few of the impressive numbers from OPG nuclear:
- 5,728 MW in-service nuclear generating capacity (Sept. 30, 2019)
- 2 stations, Pickering has 6 units and Darlington has 4 units
- 34% of Ontario’s electricity supply comes from Pickering (14%) and Darlington (20%)
- 50 years of experience safely operating nuclear facilities in Ontario
- $89.9 billion into Ontario’s GDP just from the Darlington refurbishment project
- 2024 end of commercial electricity generation at Pickering
- 2055 Darlington operations after refurbishment
The Canadian Nuclear Association is proud to shine a spotlight on its CNA2020 Platinum-level sponsor, Ontario Power Generation.
OPG is the sponsor for the Thursday lunch and keynote speaker. Find the complete schedule at https://cna.ca/cna2020/program/.
To register for the conference, visit https://cna.ca/cna2020/registration/.